Friday, March 12, 2010

Pampering And Adventure

In the early light of morning, I made my way to the giant gazebo at the Red Mountain Spa to join other guests for a hike in the surrounding red rock bluffs of Snow Canyon State Park in southern Utah. One of the very special things about this spa is its emphasis on the great outdoors, its multi-level hikes over and around various paths and more challenging terrain for the more experienced hiker all led by knowledgeable guides. Each day brought a new adventure as we investigated various areas of the nearly 6,000 acre parkland where hikers enjoy an amazing display of desert animal life, plants and rock formations that vary from twisting spires of red Navajo Sandstone, carved canyons, lava flows and lava caves. The Red Mountain agenda also offered trips to explore the spectacular nearby Zion National Park, rock climbing, bicycling, canyoneering and newly introduced Nordic walking.

This was my second visit to Red Mountain and I was pleased to discover new activities and amenities enhancing both adventure and pampering options. I also discovered more male guests. During my prior visit I encountered a totally distaff guest population. This time it consisted of around 30% masculine attendees, some solo and some as 1/2 of a couple.

One morning, I broke from the traditional hike to participate in a "Pound Puppy Hike." A small group of guests were driven to Ivins' tiny "no kill" animal rescue shelter where we were introduced to Robin Kirker, a former east coast horse trainer, now lovingly in charge of dogs and cats of all sizes and shapes. Since puppies are always the first to be adopted, our group of dogs was more mature. My pet for the morning was Sugar, a darling black and white border collie who enjoyed my rather brisk pace leading the pack along a path through Padre Canyon stopping for water and treats along the way.

Back at Red Mountain, I checked the schedule for upcoming classes which I could squeeze in between one on one appointments both in the fitness center and the new dome spa. Personal training sessions with two instructors, Rebecca and Chrissie gave me information and instruction on how better to use my work out schedule both at Red Mountain and back at home. Apparently I have not been using my time wisely for the past several years in fitness alley. It was back to basics for the most part: a physio ball, a bosu, a stretchy resistance bands were the preferred pieces of equipment for my workout rather than the machines. The one new contraption which I was introduced to and was told had become very popular was the TRX (Total Resistance Training) which had me using my own strength and body weight to burn calories and tighten up muscles. The TRX consisted of straps and handles and were portable allowing it to be hung from an inside or outside metal bar. I gave it a try and found it amazingly versatile and efficient.

I also received a lesson in Nordic walking and how, done properly, this activity burns 40% more calories and tightens a lot more body parts than a basic hike. The class took place on a paved path where I learned the proper way to drag the poles behind me, then push off rather than pull as in hiking.

One of my favorite places to spend time and be pampered was at the Sagestone spa and salon, housed in a geodesic dome. The extensive menu of services featured a choice of more than 20 types of massages plus spa packages. Hydrating, detox, scrubs, manicures, pedicures and make up lessons were also available. The eclectic Spa Tapas offered a sampling of signature Sagestone Spa and Salon treatments including hand reflexology, chair massage, Blackberry hand massage and wax treatment, bone density testing and even palm reading.

One balmy evening at sunset, 30 or so guests were driven to an area known as Snow Canyon where we hiked up to a special spot over swirling patterns of red sandstone. Bud Howard led us in a beginner's version of Tai Chi. The lilting Native American music emanating from his portable CD, his calm voice and the magnificent surroundings as we stood barefoot on the smooth rock surface and learned the motions and their meaning made for a calming and most memorable experience.

As a change of pace one day I signed up for the very popular cooking class. Although I am not much into the culinary arts, I did so enjoy the comedic antics of Chef Dale Van Sky and picked up some helpful cooking hints in spite of myself such as using a spray bottle to coat a pan with cooking oil which saves a lot of calories. The food at Red Mountain is healthy and delicious and I marveled at the low calorie tasty treats including a beautiful 70 calorie frozen mango passion fruit mousse.

During my stay I popped in on various yoga classes, power pilates, a hip hop class, a stretch class and a knock yourself out to music and lose your inhibitions class called NIA, the Joy of Movement.

I delighted in walking through the lush grounds of Red Mountain past bubbling fountains and streams and beneath towering trees, often with net hammocks at their base. Several evenings, before retiring to my villa, I positioned myself in a swaying hammock situated next to a stream where I spent quite a bit of time looking up at the starry sky and thinking quiet thoughts.

My stunning villa could have comfortably accommodated four people and I thought that it would be perfect for a girl's getaway with two queen beds, two bathrooms, a large living space with kitchen amenities and even and washer and dryer. It also featured an outdoor terrace running the entire length of the villa and overlooking one of the swimming pools.

My stay at Red Mountain offered a plethora of options. I could explore some of the west's most scenic National Parks, hike, be pampered, participate in a variety of classes or have private instruction. The magnificent surroundings of Red Mountain, the warmth of the staff, the healthy and delicious meals, and the quiet all contributed to my perfect getaway.

Adventure, Travel, Vacation, Cruise Vacation, Cruises Vcations Deals

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 SUMMER VACATION. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator